Watch “The Incredible Power of Your Thoughts!” by Jeremy Bennett on YouTube.
It was published on January 20, 2015 and is about 10 minutes in length.
Jeremy reminds us in his video to choose wisely as our thoughts create us. In an estimated 10 quadrillion operations per second, our minds shape how our bodies function and who we ultimately become. Our subconscious mind is in control about 96-98% of the time. According to Jeremy, there is one thing our subconscious can’t do. It can’t distinguish between a real event and something we think about. Holding negative thoughts in our minds actually produces a physiological reaction in our bodies and causes the release of cortisol, a stress hormone. The 60,000 thoughts we have per day are mostly repetitive thoughts from the day before, either dwelling on the past or fearing the future. Learn tons more powerful facts from Jeremy about something called the “nocebo” effect, what gossiping can do to you, and how violence on TV can affect children. It only takes 10 minutes to watch!
Choose Positive, KJ
Fear thoughts leave us susceptible to intense emotions and impulsive reactions. Fear can cause damage to certain parts of the brain, it weakens immune systems, causes heart damage, digestive problems and excess body fat. These are all excellent reasons to start choosing loving thoughts over fearful ones. To kick start your journey, complete this exercise:
(Remember, this is your process, there are no rules but your own. Feel free to make up variations that are appealing to you.)
- Find 10 (or 5 or 20) pieces of scrap paper to write on (or any material of your choice that you can eventually destroy).
- During the next day (or week or however long you decide) write a fear on the scrap material you chose. Use a word, symbol, paragraph, or stick drawing to describe your fear.
- Here are some triggers to help you write about your fear thoughts:
- What are you ashamed of or embarrassed about?
- What makes you angry or feel pressured?
- What are you afraid of or need protection from?
- What burdens do you carry?
- What makes you jealous?
- What do you feel greedy, lazy or dishonest about?
- What do you feel heartbreak over or feel separated from?
- What excessive responsibility or stressors do you have?
- Who do you judge or need to forgive?
- What feels unjust to you or exhausts you?
- When you are ready, decide the ritual you will use to physically destroy your written fears. (I like a family or friend gathering with a bonfire, if you have a safe place and means to do it.) Before you get down to the “fun” of destruction, concentrate on visualizing each fearful thought leaving your mind, becoming part of the material you wrote it on and then watching it dissipate. If you worship a god, deity or other higher power, you can also visualize that person or entity taking the fear from you and assisting you with destroying it. If you feel comfortable, you can openly share your fear with those around you. Now get ready to rip up, burn, spit on, smash and annihilate all those crazy fear thoughts that are no longer welcome to take up precious space in your mind!
- After you are complete with your fear abolishing ritual, take a few moments to sit reflectively, with your eyes closed while you take long, deep, slow breaths and feel the wonderful, relieving effects of a clear mind.
- Changing your thoughts is a life long, daily process. It takes practice and dedication. You can periodically return to this ritual when you need to cleanse your mind of fears. You can do simple variations of the ritual each hour, day, week, month; whatever works best for you!
Choose Positive, KJ
Check back each week for 10 weeks of a Positive Impact Summer Program! This program can be completed by anyone, alone, in a group of friends, or as a family. By choosing this simple summer fun, you are choosing a healthier, happier you!
Choose Positive, KJ